Taking its inspiration from the Killarney Lakes region of southwest Ireland and reminiscent of an Irish Grand House, ‘Killarney Castle’ remains as significant a landmark in this area of Sydney as the famous suspension bridge which links Glenview Street back to Gordon. In fact, the house and bridge were completed and officially “opened” simultaneously by NSW Governor Sir Walter Davidson back in 1918.
The property was once part of a magnificent 98-acre landholding and now occupies approx. 1290sqm of beautifully landscaped lawns and lush gardens. Built of hand-hewn sandstone quarried on site, its meticulous construction reflects the devotion of original owner, Thomas Whitford Taylor to recreate his beloved castle home in Ireland, complete with battlements, a widows walk tower/turret and banquet rooms.
Together with restorations in keeping with the ‘castle’ theme, many facilities have been upgraded over time resulting in a truly unique yet luxurious living environment suitable for any family. There are several multipurpose rooms within and separate to the house, along with potential au pair accommodation, a four-car garage and new solar swimming pool. Unquestionably among the area’s finest homes, and truly one-of-a-kind, this extraordinary residence now invites potential new custodians to experience the majesty and grandeur of ‘Killarney Castle’.
- Privately nestled back amidst established gardens and superbly elevated to capture sweeping leafy views over the surrounding district including the suspension bridge
- Striking architectural canvas featuring high ceilings, original hardwood and granite floors, rich timberwork and romantic fireplaces
- Formal lounge and dining rooms, gentleman’s study and spacious open plan Gaggenau-equipped kitchen with conservatory meals area
- Five bedrooms including one with separate entrance and a ‘secret’ loft perfect as a teenagers’ retreat or playroom
- Large separate billiards room or cinema with wet bar; impressive cellar/tasting room and optional gymnasium
- Sandstone balconies and north verandahs, signature turret with widows and access to a rooftop observation area enjoying panoramic views
- Versatile artists’ studio, workshop area, prolific storage, air-conditioning, heating, pool and expansive secure garaging for up to four cars
- Conveniently positioned only 900m walking distance to Gordon Station, local shops and cafes and offering easy access to prestigious surrounding schools